Recipe from Nigel Slater’s Real Fast Food. He suggests frying some fingers of bread in butter, but I thought that might just be a little too much, and toasted it till quite crisp instead. For two (I halved it for my own-some):
- Sufficient bread, cut into fingers
- 75g butter (I used a small knob: ~10g, just for the sauce)
- 2 x 100g tins sardines in olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
- Fry the fingers in 50g of butter until golden, or just toast until golden if you’re being healthy.
- Drain the sardines, and place on the fingers of bread in an ovenproof dish.
- Place in a preheated oven (220degC), and while the sardines are warming through, make the sauce.
- Sauce: mix together the egg yolks, mustard, 25g butter, vinegar and seasoning. Heat until the mixture starts to thicken (to the consistency of a good mayonnaise), and spread over the heated sardines
- Serve straight away, nice and hot!
Technorati tags: sardines on toast, recipe.