Originally uploaded by framboise.
Made some orange mini cakes tonight. Found the recipe on deliaonline.com. We have a teeny weeny bit of orange curd in the store cupboard (purchased from the “Good morning young lady” honey stall at the Edinburgh Farmers’ Market), so I decided to just use that instead of making it fresh.
- 175 g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt, sifted with the flour
- 110 g butter, room temperature
- 110 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 dessertspoon orange juice (I used the juice from a quarter of orange)
- grated rind of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 190°C (that was a bit too hot for my fan oven, will have to reduce it to ~160°). Grease and line (with paper cases) a 12-hole muffin/patty tin.
- Mix all the ingredients (usually butter and sugar first, then eggs, then sifted flour/salt, then the orange juice/zest).
- Drop small amounts of the mix and tap the tin to settle the contents.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 15-20 min or until the cakes are risen and golden brown. Because my oven was too hot, I baked the cakes for 15 min, but the damage was already done… Those cracks are usually a result of overheating the cake mix.
- Cool on a rack.
- Cut a small inverse cone out of the top using a small sharp knife. Fill with orange curd. Slice the cone in two and arrange on top to look like a butterfly. (I didn’t take a photo ‘cos we were too greedy and just scoffed them.)
Just for the sake of completeness, Delia’s original recipe is here. Her cupcakes are prettier by far! Other fillings I thought would be quite good in the cakes are ice cream or whipped cream (perhaps with a touch of Cointreau or Grand Marnier).
Other highlight of the day: had a laugh-out-loud moment when I read that the ‘miserable failure‘ had mistaken John Prendergast for Bono. Oh, I cannae believe I’m really going to live over there for a few years…
Edit: We tried the cupcakes with some mango sorbet. Scrummy…
Technorati tags: orange cupcake, recipe.