Originally uploaded by framboise.
Soaked some chickpeas last night, and set them on the boil while we went out to vote this evening. Decided to have a chickpea salad from, yet again, New Covent Garden Soup Company’s Soup & Beyond cookbook. (OK, I’m going to have to abbreviate them to NCGSC or future soup or bean posts will take forever!)
- 400g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in plenty of cold water (or 2 tins, rinsed well)
- 1 shallot
- half a lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a handful of herb leaves (They recommend mint leaves, but our local shop never has them in, so it had to be coriander, which goes v. well with chickpeas.)
- Boil the chickpeas in plenty of water for one hour (or warm through tinned chickpeas).
- In the meantime, prepare the vinegrette. Mix the chopped shallot, lemon juice and white wine vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until you get an emulsion.
- Drain the chickpeas, and toss in the vinegrette, adding a handful of torn herb leaves of your choice.
- Serve warm and with bread or rice. It works well on its own too, particularly for scoffers like us.